Home to one of the oldest polytechnics in the country, Handia can be considered to be an oasis of peace. Brahmins, Binds, Muslims, Rajputs and Yadavs constitute the major population of Handia. The town might have fallen off the radar of visitors but it is a fact that the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated a polytechnic here way back in 1956.

Handia Polytechnic Allahabad

A Nagar Panchayat and a town in Allahabad district, Handia lies 38 km from Allahabad on the Allahabad-Varanasi highway.

Demography of Handia

According to the 2001 census statistics, the population of Handia town was 16,439. While females form 48% of the population in Handia, males constitute the rest 52%. However, in terms of literacy rate, Handia lags behind the national average. The average literacy rate in Handia is 52% which is much lower than the national average of 59.5%.

Male literacy rate in Handia is 63% while female literacy rate in the region is a dismal low of 39%. Handia can be considered to be a primarily rural area as 98% of the population resides in rural areas.
The statistics released by the election department point out that of the 315994 voters in Handia, 56% are male and remaining 44% constitute the female vote.

Development Blocks in Handia

Handia tehsil consists of four development blocks. These are Pratappur, Saidabad, Handia and Dhanupur.

Climatic Conditions

Handia Tehsil

The region has subtropical climate which is a common feature in the cities and towns of north central portion of the country. Three typical seasons are known to exist in the region. These are hot dry summer season, humid monsoons and cold season which is typically dry in the Handia region. The maximum temperature during the summers varies from 40 degrees to 45 degrees. While the summer season lasts from April to June, Monsoon spreads out between early July till late September and winter lasts from December to February.

Cropping Density

The region falls in the Agricultural district of Allahabad and is typically known as a wheat and rice growing area. Pulses namely Arhar, Urad and Chana too are grown in the region.

Being the only town in the region which is home to the oldest polytechnic in the region, Handia has managed to establish its niche as a leading education hub of the region. Students from Handia and neighbouring region head to the town to complete their education and attain professional competence in the subject of their choice. Handia Post Graduate college is a major source of quality higher education in the region is located on the Allahabad-Varanasi National Highway.

The polytechnic which has been operational since 1956 too offers quality professional courses and has created numerous entrepreneurs since its inception.

A small town in the true sense, Handia offers opportunities to all and residents of the town and nearby region have been able to turn Handia into a bustling town with their enthusiasm and desire of making things better.

Important Address

Handi Post Office Address:
Postmaster, Post Office Handia (Sub Office), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, Pin Code- 221503

Handia Polytechnic Address: National Highway 2, Handia, Uttar Pradesh

Handia Police Station: NH-2, Handia, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India; Phone no.: 9454402827

You may also like to visit

    Free Listing